Sunday, October 18, 2009

Finding the balance

I've been trying to find the balance in my beat between not losing my job (by disclosing information I'm not supposed to) and feeling like I'm able to combine a school project and a work project. Eventually I plan on having a Sustainable Fort Lewis blog but Public Affairs has yet to approve this. I was hoping to be able to feed two birds with one seed and I think I've been able to figure out how.

My beat is "GreenGov" and I think I'll be able to focus on the government's role in sustainability and not specifically discuss the things I do at work. However, if something has already been published in the newspaper (therefore approved by PAO) I will be able to share it.

My initial plan of keeping my beat private did not seem as appealing after speaking with my professor, Christopher. The added benefit of having outside community see my post and comment on it seemed a valuable tool to measure the usefulness of my blog.

On a different topic, I think I'm getting a bit more used to juggling my different social networks. I know that I need to work on commenting on others' postings and linking my blog to theirs. In the next week I will be focusing on improving in both of these areas.

2 comments:

  1. Miriam,
    I am so awed by the work you are doing. I think this beat will prove to be incredibly useful, and probaably in unexpected ways. Our government has an opportunity to be the most effective leader of all in matters of sustainability, and it is people like you who will facilitate that transformation. You inspire me, and knowing you are engaged with these questions and occupy a place of influence cuts through my resignation. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your encouraging comments. I am incredibly thankful to have the job that I do and to love what I do. Sometimes the enormity of the responsibility is overwhelming and I want to change it all right now. My hope and dream is to live up to these comments and to facilitate the transformation that I feel is imperative to our future. I'll have to admit that I find myself intimidated standing in front of Colonels and Generals telling them why they should embrace sustainability (I use less flowery language than "embrace"). I gain confidence with each of these encounters which in turn transfers to my demeanor, making me that much more influential.

    ReplyDelete